Wayne State’s history began in 1868, when five physicians who witnessed the crude medical treatment on Civil War battlefields committed themselves to advancing health education and care in Detroit. They founded the Detroit Medical College, which has since transformed into our School of Medicine. Today, our main, 200-acre campus in Midtown Detroit is home to nearly 25,000 undergraduate and graduate students from across the United States and 70 countries.
The C. S. Mott Center, which opened in 1973, is an internationally known research center established to promote research training relating to women’s and children’s health, with a focus on reproductive biology, immunology, oncology, toxicology and prenatal medicine. Its scientists integrate basic, translational and clinical research with the purpose of improving women’s health.