CS Mott Center Job Openings
Posting Number: 046350
Position Title: Manager, Laboratory
Number of Vacancies: 1
School/College/Division/Institutes/Centers: School of Medicine
Primary Department: Obstetrics/Gynecology
Essential Functions (Job Duties):
- Independently develop research projects in the area of Reproductive Sciences based on planned objectives and oversee the day to day operations in a life science research laboratory.
- Provide overall leadership and direction to lab staff. Set expectations and focus, assign duties, delegate responsibilities, evaluate activities, prepare performance appraisals and professional development plans. Provide coaching, mentoring and teaching. Manage the administrative process for assigned staff including hiring, promotions, terminations, disciplinary procedures, and salary adjustments. Provide ongoing performance feedback, goal setting, and development plans for staff. Plan for future staffing needs. Provide timely communications to staff. Collaborate with PI to develop long-range scientific plans for funded studies. Performance of in vitro (cell and tissue culture) and in vivo studies (intra-peritoneal and intra-venous injections; breeding and genotyping) with minimal supervision. Performance of cellular and molecular biology techniques such as plasmid preparations, RNA and protein isolation, RT-PCR, qPCR, western blot analysis, immunohistochemistry, and immunoprecipitation.
- Oversee and maintain laboratory operations to ensure accurate and timely service including design and updating of standard operating procedures for the collection and processing of data. These data include, but are not limited to, patient information and health history. Coordinate and monitor lab safety compliance. Organize and manage laboratory schedules to ensure staffing levels are established for a successful unit. Manage daily operations of the clinical laboratory. Manage staffing of a multiple level research team.
- Optimize types and availability of supplies and equipment including managing cost, contracts and maintenance. Maintain relationships with vendors to ensure appropriate resources are available for research projects. Assures maintenance of equipment and data storage.
Work closely with other researchers within the department regarding laboratory services to complete original and ongoing research and to ensure rapid and impactful publication of research results. Coordinates with institutional review board (IRB) and other entities.
Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Master's degree
- Masters or Ph.D degree in Reproductive Sciences or related field.
- Experienced (minimum 2 years of job-related experience)
- At least two years of experience working in a clinical laboratory preferred. Prior supervisory experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Proven ability to provide organization leadership to coordinate complex and distributed work activities in order to meet key goals and foster best business practices. Demonstrated ability to plan effectively and manage projects and facility needs. Ability to make appropriate interventions to ensure work flow is efficient, and that adequate resources are available that also comply with University policies and procedures. Excellent ability to prioritize work assignments to meet deadlines. Ability to foster collaborations across a wide span of biomedical expertise, including motivating individuals and groups to collectively meet common objectives. Ability to interact and articulate sensitively with students, faculty, staff, and administrators in a multicultural and diverse community. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated skills and a track record for achieving expected program outcomes within given budgetary or resource parameters. Proficient in Microsoft Office and Windows-based computer applications.
Essential Functions (Job Duties)
- Organize, monitor and expedite the workflow in an assigned office. Route and answer routine correspondence and inquiries not requiring supervisory review. Identify and resolve operational problems and initiate follow-up actions on pending matters.
- Perform liaison functions between assigned unit and internal and external contacts. Provide advice regarding policies and procedures. Provide and obtain information concerning projects and unit activities and communicate supervisors intentions and preferences.
- Coordinate and process academic and non-academic personnel paperwork including full-time faculty. Identify and resolve processing problems to ensure personnel matters are affected in a timely manner.
- Perform complex typing duties and process complex documentation with the use of appropriate software, e.g. record and format minutes, type chemical structures and perform layout duties and complex spreadsheet design.
- Perform bookkeeping duties including the tracking and monitoring of expenditures and the analyzing and projection of funds and financial data. May prepare routine monthly reports.
- Provide functional supervision of clerical support staff. Interview prospective clerical personnel and recommend for employment. Distribute work and review for completeness and accuracy. Train in appropriate methods and procedures.
- Keep calendar, schedule appointments and make arrangements for meetings and conferences. Make appropriate complex travel arrangements as needed.
- Perform related work as assigned.
- High school graduate with additional business related courses or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Ability to operate the most advanced office equipment, including software necessary for desktop publishing, complex spreadsheet design and complex graphics.
- Experience providing functional supervision and work leadership to clerical support staff.
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to prioritize office workload and resolve operational problems.
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to disseminate instructions and information.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to perform bookkeeping duties, including ability to analyze data and make projections.
- Ability to type with speed and accuracy, may include scientific terminology and mathematical equations.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures preferred.
- May be required to use transcription skills.
- Progressive secretarial or general office experience, preferably within the University.
- Typically, incumbents have held a lower level clerical and/or secretarial position.
Primary Department: H0610-Obstetrics/Gynecology
Essential Functions (Job Duties): Perform independent or supervisory roles in research activities requiring an advanced level of knowledge in a field of science or learning, are predominantly intellectual and varied in character, and require consistent use of discretion and judgment. Prepare scientific manuscripts, proposals for funding agencies, operation of research equipment, supervision of graduate students and other lab/field personnel in research.
Unique Duties Responsibilities:
43% - Perform microvascular surgery, physiologic studies (pulmonary, cardiovascular, neurobiological, and integrative physiologic) in rodents, conduct in vitro and in vivo functional studies
20% - Perform molecular biology studies including RT-PCR, immunoblotting, immunohistochemistry, imaging studies.
20% - Data analyses, manuscript development, and grant writing.
15% - Bank, catalog samples and maintain databases, maintain project inventory, work relatively independently on carrying out research, train research students as needed, coordinate and cooperatively work with other lab staff, assist in all lab studies
2% - Other job related duties as required
Qualifications Education and Experience:
Required Education: Bachelor's degree in relevant field
Required Experience: Two years of related professional experience.
Skills and knowledge: Familiarity with appropriate laboratory and/or technical equipment
Ability to effectively utilize a computer and applicable software to create databases, perform statistical analyses, present data and perform other computer related tasks. Ability to multi task and work cooperatively with others.
Communication skillset, ability to organize and plan studies
Knowledge with design of experiments
The knowledge of Western blotting, Histology, RT-PCR and the Molecular biology skillset
Preferred QualificationsPreferred Education: MS with experience in area.
Preferred Experience: Experience with in vivo functional studies, surgical skills, molecular biology, and manuscript writing. Also, minimum of 2 years of experience working with rodents.
Preferred Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Surgical skillset with rodent model